Immerse is seeking a part-time, creative Spanish instructor with strong experience in online teaching and communicative teaching practices.
Classes in Immerse are unlike traditional language classes. Guides (instructors) are provided a lesson plan centered around a specific learning objective. Lesson plans are created to provide lots of opportunities for Members (students) to talk and develop fluency.
Lessons begin with a brief, scripted lecture from the Guide that is followed by pre-structured speaking activities (think role-play and other task-based activities) that Members complete together. While Members work through these activities, Guides circulate among groups of Members and listen to what language emerges. Then, the Guide spontaneously provides Members feedback on the language that emerged during the activities.
We encourage prospective applicants to take some time to review videos on our YouTube channel that provide more context on our approach to teaching.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS - (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO)
- Teach 30 to 40-minute Spanish lessons for groups of up to 50 adult learners in virtual reality. Instructors teach via a desktop app and must have access to a personal laptop that meets *system requirements.
- Attend all training sessions and meetings organized by the Education Department.
- Provide feedback on lesson plans and create summaries of how classes went.
- Engage in discussions with Members outside of class times on the Immerse Discord channel.
- Note: Guides are compensated for training, preparation, meetings and additional work that is requested of them.
- Teach up to 24 hours per week
- Availability Saturday and Sunday 4:00 PM to 12:00 AM EST with occasional availability Monday-Friday 4:00 PM to 12:00 AM EST.
- BA in Spanish or related field
- Native or advanced proficiency in Spanish (C1 level (CEFR) or Advanced-High (ACTFL) desired)
- 2 years of experience teaching Spanish
- Experience with communicative teaching practices
- Experience teaching Spanish online
- Experience teaching Spanish to adult language learners
- Candidates must be based in the US and have the right to work in the US.
Bonus if you have…
- Experience teaching online, large-scale language classes
- Experience with curriculum development and lesson planning
- Familiarity with VR
Starting date: March 2023
*Minimum System Requirements
- Video Card: Intel HD 4000
- Processor: Core i5
- Memory: 4GB RAM
- OS: Windows 8/10 64-bit
- Storage Space: 1.5GB Available Storage Space